Friday, November 30, 2012

Sofia's Teddy Bear Parade

Yesterday was Sofia's Teddy Bear Parade at school. Every year the kindergardeners decorate a "float" with their teddy bear or favorite stuffed animal and then hold a parade through the school that the whole school and parents get to watch and cheer. A few days before the parade, Sofia and I brainstormed some ideas on how we could decorate a Carter's box we had that was the perfect size. We finally decided to go with a Christmas theme and started decorating. I really wanted Sofia to do all the work on it and I'd help her when she needed my input, but I didn't want it to become my project.

I cut the box into a sleigh shape and got it ready to paint. After school on Wednesday we sat outside and painted the box red which took awhile since Sofia was having fun making up a story while she painted. Once the paint was dry, we attached the cotton balls along the top of the box, which I helped her with. I would add a drop of glue to the ball and she would put it in place. Then, we added a pillow wrapped in some fabric I had and that was the bottom of the sleigh.

Olivia had a red onesie and pants, and Sofia dressed Green Beup Beup in them so he could be Santa. We then went into Sofia's room and found a lot of little toys that we put into a bag which became Green Beup Beup's Santa bag full of toys. I cut two holes in the front and added ribbon which Sofia would use to pull the box around the school hall. We added a few other things like bells and it was all ready. Of course Sofia had to test it out around the house all evening and really wanted to put Olivia in it, but I was afraid the ribbon would break and Olivia might fall out, although I know she'd have fun!

On Thursday morning, Sofia woke up complaining of a bad sore throat, but said she "felt fine" I'm sure because she didn't want to miss the parade. I dropped Sofia and her sleigh off at school and CK, Olivia and I returned to the school at 8:30 to watch the parade. There were a lot of parents so Sofia never saw us until the parade was over. She was upset that "we didn't watch the parade" but soon knew we were there but just never saw us. We were able to visit with her and take a few final pictures before we said goodbye. Unfortunately, around 11:30am the school nurse called to say that Sofia had a fever, terrible sore throat and likely had strep throat. Poor thing! I felt terrible that she was that sick. I picked her up and she was miserable and we learned today it was strep. She was so happy she was able to enjoy the Teddy Bear Parade even though she's sick!

Painting the "sleigh"

Painting and talking....

The parade begins!

Sofia also wore her reindeer antlers since she would be pulling the sleigh

The gingerbread house was cute

Someone went all out on an Angry Birds float - it barely fit through the door!

Mrs. Patterson leads the parade back to class

Dylan and Sofia saying high to the other kids

Sofia and her sleigh

The rest of the kindergardeners

Alexa and her airplane float

Sofia and her float

A close up - we also made a beard for Green Beup Beup

Our little reindeer and Green Beup Beup Santa

Green Beup Beup Santa

Papa pulls the sleigh with Olivia

She was focused on playing with the little bells....

No comments: