Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Our Pink and Orange Stegosaurus

Yesterday we picked up Sofia's Halloween costume. She's going to be a stegosaurus and couldn't be more excited! Over the past two months, I've asked Sofia what she wants to be for Halloween and every time she answered "a stegosaurus" which is her favorite dinosaur. I looked on-line and only found T-Rex or non-descript dinosaur costumes, so decided to buy a pattern and make our own. The girls and I headed to JoAnn's for the pattern, fabric and notions and it only took one reading of the notions list to convince me that I was in way over my head. My Mom was such a gifted and creative sewer and really loved making new things, including from patterns she would design. I regret not learned from her, especially the basics. My goal before next Halloween is to learn to sew!

After we found the pattern, Sofia picked out the fabric and it is perfect! The fabric is a pink and orange pattern with little flecks of gold! We got the right amount of fabric, bought pink and white felt for the plates down the stegosaurus' back and the four prongs at the end of her tail. After finding all of the notions, we checked out and I wondered how on earth I planned to make the costume. Then I remembered one of my local Facebook friend has an Etsy site and sews! I wrote her and asked if she would be willing to make Sofia's costume and she said yes! I met my friend a few days after buying all the material and left it with her. While she sewed, she sent me photos of her progress and it was so fun to watch it come together.

Then, she wrote me on Sunday to tell me that she was done! So, I met her and picked up the costume and couldn't believe how awesome it is! Sofia saw it and immediately wanted to put it on. Once we were home, she put it on for the rest of the afternoon and I finally got around to taking pictures of her after it got dark. I plan to take more photos when the light is better, but I had to show my friend how cute it looks on her and wanted to post them to Facebook. While taking the pictures, I told her to roar like a dinosaur, and Sofia said "but I'm a plant eater, and plant eaters don't roar." Fair enough. Pretty sure our little "plant eater" will soon be a "candy eater"! We are so excited for Halloween and love Sofia's awesome new costume!

Showing of her Stegosaurus' tail

Her hood

Another back shot

From the front

Our cute little "plant eater"

Ready to walk like a Stegosaurus

The cool spikes on her tail...

No comments: