Sunday, December 18, 2011

Our Gingerbread House

I decided last year that building a gingerbread house would be a Christmas tradition and we had such a fun time together building our first last year. The tradition goes back many years with me, sort of. I can't remember a year when my Mom and I weren't making elaborate plans to build the best gingerbread house ever (from scratch), but somehow we never actually did one. One year when I was in high school and my Mom was recovering from back surgery, my Grandma and I made one and that was the only year that we did it. So, I decided I really want it to be a part of our holiday celebrations. This year it's been so crazy that we finally found some time on Sunday afternoon, even though I think all three of us were so tired and just wanted to relax. However, I was determined so I set everything out on the coffee table and we started to decorate. We did have a problem with the gingerbread kit's icing - it was too thick and was very difficult to spread, so it took a lot of effort to spread it out and use it to decorate. Sofia soon lost interest and after I took a few pictures, I ended up going off and doing something else while CK did a great job decorating the house. Next year we'll be a little more focus (and have better royal icing!

The gingerbread house and all it's decorations


Sofia and Papa are all set to decorate


Getting started


Sofia liked making a "waterfall" with the frosting


Papa, the master decorator, hard at work


The finished house


It's beautiful!

No comments: