Monday, December 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, Papa!

CK's birthday this year fell on Monday and he asked for a nice steak, mashed potato and asparagus dinner followed by his favorite, red velvet cake. So, that morning Sofia and I set off to make his cake. It turned out well except that I ran out of red food coloring so the cake itself looked rather pink (but it still tasted fine). While I frosted the cake, I set Sofia down with the card she picked out for him and told her where to sign her name and suggested that she draw him a picture. Before I knew it she'd sealed it and written "PAPA" on the envelope.

After CK got home, we took a few photos before putting Olivia to bed and then enjoyed our dinner together. Before she'd even put her fork down, Sofia was ready to start in on the cake! So, we lit candles that read "43" and sang to Papa and then we enjoyed his red velvet cake and vanilla ice cream. After, we sat in the living room while he opened his gifts: a very generous gift certificate to his favorite store, Orvis and a flying book from his parents and two Orvis shirts from his girls and one from me. He's not easy to shop for, except I know he pretty much loves anything from Orvis so that helps. The card from Sofia was absolutely adorable and she explained the drawing to be her and Papa holding hands and me and baby sister holding hands. Very sweet! Happy Birthday, Papa!!

Sofia with the red velvet cake


Papa and Olivia just after he got home from work


Papa and his two girls


Papa, Olivia and me


Make a wish!!


Sofia liked playing with the candles as much as eating the cake (really just the frosting for her)


Opening presents


The card from Sofia


Papa and Sofia holding hands (on the top) and Baby Sister and me holding hands (on the bottom)


Helping Papa open his gifts....

No comments: