Friday, December 9, 2011

Decorating Christmas Gifts

Given that I have a big family, I always try to either make gifts (usually dozens of cookies that I package up and send out which is completely exhausting) or try to come up with something that is nice and doesn't break the bank after I've bought enough for five siblings and three sets of Aunts and Uncles.... This year, I must confess I sort of stole the idea from my brother and his wife, Pancho and Julie. Last year they sent us a box of chocolates and a wood frame that was obviously decorated by their kids along with a photo of their three kids. I love it and love gifts like that since our kid's youth is so fleeting and the may not enjoy doing crafts like that for too many years. Plus, I know from all of my "Joy" ornaments, several of which I made when I was little, that it's fun to be reminded of prior Christmas memories and reflect on the year that has just passed.

So, with that in mind, we headed to Michael's and stocked up on frames, paint brushes, red and green paint and decorations to add to the frame. Then, one day I set up our dining room table so Sofia could paint her frames. She was so excited and loves to paint or draw, however, she generally likes to layer every color on top of each other so that she basically ends up with a black or darn brown drab creation. So, I told her for this craft she had to paint the whole frame either red or green but couldn't mix them. She was fine with that rule and got busy. While she painted she made up some sort of story and talked her way through her creations.

Hard at work creating


Our little Picasso


She really loves to paint or draw and I should set out such crafts for her to do more often


Moving on to green

No comments: