Sunday, January 20, 2019

Another Fun Day of Skiing!

We woke up on Sunday and headed out for another great day on the slopes. It was actually forecast to be colder and cloudy, but ended up being gorgeous and another perfect day. We made it to the slopes much earlier than we did the day before and decided to ski on the other side of the mountain. First, we headed to the very top of the mountain to buy shirts from the rescue dogs. There was a really terrible avalanche the day before we arrived that killed two skiers. I can't imagine how awful it would be to lose someone like that, or to be involved in an avalanche. We actually met one of the dogs who helped find the skiers, which is pretty amazing. Her name was Izzy and she is super sweet and shy. The ski patrol told us all of their rescue dogs were actually rescued and trained, which is pretty amazing. I'd imagine that there is a lot of laying around on couches for the dogs, but when they are needed they are crucial.

After we bought shirts, we headed down the mountain and started our day of skiing. It was so great and the snow conditions were perfect for our second day. We ended up lunching at the Whistlestop Cafe, located on the other side of the mountain. We had frito pie which was probably not great, yet tasted like the best food ever! In fact, I decided I needed to make it for the girls for dinner one night. I knew they would love it. After lunch, CK hung out on the chairs outside soaking up the sun! It really would have been great to sit outside and soak up the sun, but the afternoon was getting away from us and we headed back out for more skiing. My shins were absolutely killing me that morning but I moved my socks so that it became more comfortable. By 3pm it was actually starting to bother me again. John was really exhausted by 3pm and called it a day. We skied to the bottom of the run and he and CK hung out with a hot cocoa while Kristy and I took a few more runs. It was great skiing, but I could tell I was getting tired and started to worry about falling. I had fallen earlier in the day, but it wasn't too bad, but I was still so worried about falling and getting hurt. Kristy and I finished up around 4pm and joined the guys in their hot cocoa drinking. We peeked into the shops and bought the girls Taos t-shirts and Taos stickers.

We'd talked to the girls every day and they were having a great time with Megan. As fun as the weekend was, it really would be so much fun with them! We'll have to plan a spring break skiing trip with them.

We left the ski mountain and were a little sad to be leaving our skiing behind. Although I will say my shins probably couldn't handle any more skiing! It has been such a fun two days of skiing! I can't believe we haven't skied in all these years. We drove down the mountain and returned all of our rented equipment. Again, the owners were so super sweet and gave us a warm welcome and also gave us 50% off anything we wanted to buy. So, I found a dark red "Taos" ski sweater that is awesome and so comfortable. John bought a ski helmet. We told them we'd be back and I hope we are soon.

For our final evening in Taos, we ate at Orlando's which is a great local place that has excellent Mexican and New Mexican foods. We had a great meal and talked about our next trip together. We really wanted to watch the playoff games but we noticed there were really never any televisions in the restaurants we ate in, and Orlando's was no different. We pulled up the play-by-play on my phone and sort of watched it, although it was a bit odd way of "watching" the game. I really wanted Kansas City to beat New England, but of course, New England won! So frustrating! They always win. We headed back to the Inn and packed up and hung out for a bit until bed time.

On the lift together for a full day of skiing!

Izzy, the rescue dog.

Ready for our first run of the day!

CK and me!

Mountain Selfie!

View of the base from one of the runs

The ski run down...

CK and me on the ski lift

CK relaxing in the sun after a great lunch!

Another view!

Another ski lift photo!

Kristy and CK ready to go down the mountain!

Orlando's for dinner and the moon before the eclipse.

CK and me at dinner!

No comments: