Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lazy Last Day in California (Day 11 in California)

Our last day in California and I must confess that I am looking forward to hanging around the house and relaxing. We actually slept in until 9am, which was surprising but all three of us needed it. Then to make the day even better, we went downstairs to find Grandpa Joe had bought donuts! We all enjoyed a donut while we woke up and the girls fed the koi and Hottie the turtle, and played in the their pjs. There were several family and friends I hadn't seen yet and I felt bad that we weren't able to see everyone during our time in California, but I was also exhausted from our constant driving, unpacking and packing. We hung out with Grandpa Joe and then decided to visit my parent's grave. I think about and miss my parents, especially my Mom every day, but it's knowing that neither of them had the opportunity to get watch our girls grow up and that my girls won't know and have an opportunity to spend time with them that is the worst injustice.

Once we returned to the house, two of my Mom's best friends, Kris and Nina, came over to catch up. It was great to see them both and hear what they are up to and how everything is going with them, but it was also clear that a void existed where my Mom's friendship was. They both said that Mom was the glue that held their joint friendships together and was the one who initiated get togethers, so they hadn't seen each other in a while. As much as I enjoyed seeing them, it was just as great to see them be together again.

Both ladies headed home after a fun visit and Ben, Rebecca, and Gavin came over as well as Joseph's friend Dick and lady friend Bonnie. Joseph ordered pizzas and salad and we had fun just relaxing and hanging out. Dick plans on entering a nursing home soon and I love how close he and Joseph have become. He's a fascinating man whose led an interesting life. Dick introduced Joseph and Bonnie and they seem like a great match. She's a vivacious and kind woman who seems very easy to be around. She brought the girls gifts - a small stuffed Hello Kitty for Olivia and a small sock monkey for Sofia. Olivia immediately fell in love and carried her kitty everywhere she went.

Gavin and Sofia ended up playing and having a great time running around outside together. Sofia loved having someone to follow her and Gavin loved following Sofia around, so it was a perfect set up. Olivia sort of did her own thing which meant she walked around on the inside ledge of the hot tub or tried to walk on the rocks, two things that drew me away from being with the group to talk. When we ate I as finally able to catch up a little with Ben and Rebecca and see how they are doing. Ben, Rebecca and Gavin also brought the girls "Planes" books which Sofia was immediately taken with and had to read right away.

After saying our goodbyes, I gave the girls their last bath together (from me, hopefully) and was excited to be sleeping our final night in another bed. The trip has been a lot of fun and the girls have both behaved better than I anticipated, but I am ready to be home and sleep in my own bed and excited to have CK put Olivia to bed as he regularly does. I put Olivia in her pack-n-play in Joseph's office and put Sofia in the guest bed, where I joined her later.

The next morning, I packed up all of our stuff, loaded our rental minivan and said our goodbyes to Grandpa Joe. We dropped off our van and were driven to John Wayne Airport, where we bought CK a box of See's Candy and ate breakfast before getting on they plane and flying home. Sofia and I talked about our trip and all of the fun things we did and the people we saw and her favorites were the three visits to the beach and the water park with Aunt Becky. I know she enjoyed the rest of our trip and spending time with everyone, but she's still a 5 year old driven by fun. I'm hoping the next time we get to travel to California that we rest a place near the ocean and use that as our base camp to explore and visit. This was a great trip and the girls were such troopers!


Olivia and Grandpa Joe

Feeding Hootie

Sofia and Hootie - Love this picture!

Such a happy girl!

Sofia watching the koi

Hanging out with the koi

Olivia with the koi

Our sweet girls

With Grandpa Joe

Grandpa Joe and the girls

On the elephant

Sofia's silly face

Ready to swim with the koi

Splash!

She was a bit surprised by the temperature!

Nina, Kris and me

Joseph, Nina, and Kris with Sofia

Sofia on the swing

With Rebecca

Sofia, Gavin and Olivia

Grandpa Joe and his grandkids

THe girls with Max

No comments: