Monday, July 15, 2013

Driving.....(Day 5 in California)

Originally I planned to drive back to Carlsbad, enjoy some ocean fun and then drive up the coast, but Rick and Angela convinced me that I'd likely get stuck in terrible traffic. Plus, my brother Pancho texted me and was able to meet for lunch.

After an amazing breakfast of cinnamon raisin french toast made by Angela, we loaded up, said our goodbyes and headed to Corona to meet Pancho. It was great to see Pancho and catch up for a bit since we don't see him often. He's not on Facebook but his wife, Julie, is so I do actually follow a lot of what they get up to and how much their three kids are growing. He's down in SoCal a lot for work and I'm so glad we could meet up, even if it wasn't for long. Hoping to see him and his family next summer!

After lunch, we got back on the road toward Ojai. Both girls fell asleep and it was smooth driving with minimal traffic, thankfully. Once we arrived in Ventura, Sofia started begging to go back to the ocean and since we were staying in a hotel that night without plans to see anyone, I agreed and found a parking spot near the public beach in Ventura. I wasn't in my swimsuit since I figured Olivia likely wouldn't go in. Once we arrived at the empty beach it became clear why it was so empty - it was very windy and cold! The beach is beautiful and if it wasn't windy, it would be perfect. Sofia ran around and splashed in the ocean while Olivia and I huddled under the one towel we had and froze! We'd spent so much time in the car and all Sofia really wanted to do was go in the ocean, so I couldn't bring myself to make her leave. Sofia literally wanted to stay for the rest of the afternoon, however, after 45 minutes or so I asked if she wanted to check out our hotel's heated pool and she said "Yes! I'm absolutely freezing!" I wrapped her up in the towel and we bolted for our car.

We arrived at the Chantico Inn in Ojai and got settled in. It was the cutest little place and our room was awesome! After moving our bags into our room, we walked into Ojai and looked around before heading over to Ojai Pizza for a salad and pizza, both of which were just what we needed. After, we bought a few ice cream cones from the local ice cream shop and then walked to Libby Park to enjoy them and let the girls play and run around. Once it started getting dark, we headed to our cute little hotel, the girls took much needed baths and we were off to bed.

The girls with Uncle Pancho

Sofia playing on the freezing cold beach in Ventura

Love this picture!

In downtown Ojai

Cotton candy ice cream - her favorite

Two happy girls!

No comments: