Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Day Tea

Yesterday morning I left Olivia with a sitter at home and went to Sofia's school for a Mother's Day Tea. A note went home explaining that the kids would be performing for us and that we were able to bring a "special lunch" in for ourself and child. So, I asked Sofia the day before what she'd most like me to bring and suggested a few options. She decided she wanted to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (basically what I make every day), a two bar (what we call a granola bar), strawberries and cheese and crackers. So, I bought some brie and goats cheese with herbs and made star-shaped PB&J sandwiches as well as cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. Of course I brought strawberries and granola bars and water.

I first went to Mrs. Patterson's classroom and gave Sofia a hug. All the other Moms were there and each kiddo had a cute bag for each of the moms. Inside the bag was a tile with Sofia's handprint with "Sofia 2013" printed next to it. Sofia also made a placemat of little drawings she'd made. It included lots of hearts and stars, a drawing of her and I, a "box full of love" and a plate of cookies. It was so cute! After all the moms opened their gifts, we went to the cafeteria and found a good spot to watch the performance on stage. The three kindergarten classes lined up on the bleachers and sang several really sweet Mother's Day songs. They were all really good and sang together well. After the songs, the kids each took a turn saying "My Mom...." and then would hand it to the next kid. When it got to Sofia I wondered what exactly she would say. She said "My Mom always tells me to hurry and get dressed." Ha! I guess getting her ready in the morning for school really sticks with her. The irony is that I usually dress her while she's still in bed half asleep. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually said "Hurry up and get dressed!" Surprisingly every child had something different that their Moms said so no two were the same. I asked Sofia if the teachers told them what to say and she said they didn't, so I guess she came up with it herself.

Sofia joined me and we ate our "special lunch" together. She gobbled up her usual PB&J and strawberries and didn't want to even taste the cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches or either of the cheeses. I thought it was all delicious so I guess it worked out well. After lunch, I hugged Sofia goodbye while she skipped into line to go to the playground for recess. What a great start to Mother's Day!

Sofia's list for the Mother's Day Tea lunch


Her handmade placemat. I love it!


Her handprint tile


Sofia and me


Getting ready to sing


Between songs


No comments: