Friday, April 5, 2013

Best Friend Sleepover

Sofia's best friend, Maggie, visited from New York this week during her Spring Break. Maggie and Sofia went to Spanish Schoolhouse and became big buddies as soon as school started last year. Maggie is a very smart little girl with a lot of moxie and I've always loved her personality and silliness. At times the girls tended to get a bit crazy when they were together. One time last spring when Maggie and her family were over for dinner, Sofia and she made their way into our walk-in attic and pulled off a ton of insulation and carried it into Sofia's room for their pet "ladybugs."

Maggie moved with her parents and little sister Lily to New Jersey in June last year. Her Mom grew up in New York City and her dad worked in NYC before they moved to Texas six years ago. It was really hard saying goodbye to them since their mom and I became good friends and Maggie and Sofia had been such great friends. Since they left, Sofia and Maggie have facetimed with each other using my iPhone and Maggie's iPad a few times which is so silly. They end up giving each other "tours" of their rooms, making up stories with their stuffed animals and basically talk about the connection when they have technical issues. Maggie still has her great spirit and Sofia and she have both grown up but get along great.

During their visit to Texas, Sofia met up with Maggie and Lily for play dates every day after school and on Wednesday night Melody and I hatched a plan for Maggie to have a sleepover at our house. They came over for a play date and Maggie stayed. Both girls were super excited and I made them my mom's recipe of Macaroni Mickey Mousse, and served it with broccoli, and grapes. The girls ate and then played and drew on Sofia's art table. It was so cute. Both girls were writing how they were best friends. Sofia wrote "Maggie is my best friend ever...." So sweet. After they played for a bit, they went upstairs to the movie room and I put "The Lion King" on for them. They had a big bowl of popcorn and each had a blanket and lovies and were so cute together!

They watched the movie and had fun and then I put them in Sofia's bed for the night. They both looked very tired and since it was already 8:30 after a long, fun day I was certain they would drift off to sleep without much effort. I could hear them giggling and being silly for another hour maybe and assumed they were asleep after that since I couldn't hear them. However, at 10:30 when I decided to turn off the lights and go to bed, I could hear them talking quietly. I considered going upstairs and telling them to "go to sleep" but then realized that it was useless and they would eventually sleep.

The next morning I let them sleep in until 8:30 so I could feed them and get Sofia to school before 10am. They were SO groggy when I went into Sofia's room and I could tell they could have easily slept a few more hours. They got up, got dressed and I made them pancakes for breakfast which they ate up. Melody came and picked Maggie up at 9am and I got Sofia off to school. The girls had such a fun time together and I wish they still lived here. Both Sofia and Maggie seem to have grown up a lot and still have fun together and play a lot of make believe, yet don't seem to act crazy any more. It was a great evening having Maggie over and we'll have to visit them in New Jersey so Sofia can have a sleepover!

Having dinner together


Drawing on Sofia's art table


Best friends


Writing about her friendship


Drawing


"Maggie is my best friend ever..."


Drawing rainbows on the chalkboard


And the movie starts!


Two girls and their lovies are all set for bed


The next morning! Two very tired girls!


Trying to wake up over breakfast


Sweet girls


Saying goodbye....

No comments: