Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little and Big Ski Bunnies

On Saturday CK and Sofia got all dressed up in their ski gear before we headed to the common area for breakfast. After breakfast we all headed up the mountain for a day of skiing. They dropped Sofia and I off at ski school while the three of them found parking and headed up to pick up their skis and get ready for the day ahead. At the ski school entrance I gave Sofia a big hug goodbye...she was a little reluctant to go, but I saw her less than a minute later with her ski instructor and another little student and she was happy as a clam. I walked to the main lodge and met up with CK, Arren and Susan and watched them take off for the chairlift and their first run of the day. After an hour or so of reading and drinking cocoa, I returned to the ski school to 'spy' on Sofia and watch her progress. Once there (hiding behind a wall so she wouldn't see me) I heard the instructor call her "Caroline" while giving her instructions....later I found out that one of the three other kids in the class was also named Sofia (with the same spelling too) and our Sofia told the instructor to call her Caroline.....so she did!

The three year old ski school experience is pretty basic, but Sofia seemed to love it and she kept taking off her glove and eating snow, which the instructor kept asking her to stop. She wasn't really the most natural skier and I'm not sure we'll be seeing her at the Winter Olympics in 18 years, but she sure had fun. When I picked her up at 2pm, her instructor asked if I wanted to take Sofia out and let her show me her progress, which Sofia was more than eager to do. So, we spent nearly another hour with her skiing toward me (on a very minor slope) back and forth. She loved it and kept saying how much fun she had. After, she and I headed to the main lodge and enjoyed some hot cocoa before I pulled some chairs together so she could nap on my lap. She fell asleep about 10 seconds after she laid down. After a while CK, Arren, and Susan met us and we headed back down the mountain for a warm dinner and bed.

They had plans to ski for a half day on Sunday while Sofia had a half day of ski school, but they were all pretty tired from the day before and the weather was a bit iffy, so we decided to head home instead. CK stuck around another night due to a work meeting on Monday and Sofia and I rode home with Arren and Susan. When we told Sofia about the change in plans she cried because she was so excited for more skiing.....guess we'll have to plan another ski trip!

My two ski bunnies - all ready for the slopes!


CK, Arren, and Susan ready to ski


Ready to head to the ski lift for their first run of the day


The view from the main lodge - the mountain is a lot steeper than it looks in this picture!


Sofia's ski school - she's the one on the left wearing the black and neon green jacket.


Getting her skis on


Practicing moving across the snow


Being pulled across the snow by her instructor


After a half day of skiing and lunch....ready for more!


Sofia (or Caroline) the ski bunny!


So cute!!


Showing off her skills for me!


Her other favorite part of skiing....eating snow!


The post-ski school hot cocoa...


...and a good nap!


A great view of the Rio Grande Gorge on our way out of Taos


Proof that Sofia can sleep in any Baron, not just her Papa's (we rode back with Arren and Susan since CK had a work meeting on Monday and I had a doctor's appointment I couldn't get out of).

No comments: