Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Our garden

We finally have a garden! Last year we had cherry tomatoes, basil and mint in pots and enjoyed many tasty tomatoes. This year, I finally got a jump on things and ordered a 6' X 3' raised garden from gardeners.com, along with two potato sacks. I decided to assemble the raised bed while CK was away one weekend at a flying course - big mistake! The drill I needed was in his trunk, so I relied on using our wimpy battery screwdriver. Needless to say, it took forever to screw the bolds into each corner. Finally, I borrowed our neighbors and was done in about five minutes! Once finished, I asked Sofia to sit on the edge so I could take a picture. She first climbed into the raised bed and then said "It's dirty!" and I thought "my Dad would disown you for such words!" She sat on the side and then played inside the raised bed. The next day we visited the nursery and bought a few vegetable plants - tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, broccoli and eggplant. We also picked out seeds - radishes, beets, corn, peas and carrots. A few days later, our yard service filled the raised bed and potato sacks with soil and we were in business!

Actually, we waited to plant since the first day of Spring actually brought an inch of snow and covered our entire yard with a soft blanket. The veggies remained warm inside the garage. A few days after our freak snow, Sofia and I went to work! I measured out the area in square foot sections to divide and grow each veggie, and then started planting. Sofia took over an extra banana pepper plant and carried it around the yard, talked to it, put it down for a nap, etc. Once it was time to water, she was again very helpful! Now, we wait for some delicious home grown veggies!

Our first trip to the garden center


Sofia pulls our plants around (luckily the garden center was pretty empty by the time we arrived)


Picking out seeds like a pro


Our second garden center visit


The finished bed!!!


Playing!


The first day of Spring! So thankful we didn't already plant!


Visited our thawed garden the next morning! Sofia with Peter the Cow.


And the planting begins!!


Filling the pot with dirt


Every gardener needs a shovel!


Watering - I think she'd have watered all day if I let her. By the end she was just as wet as the garden!


Our garden - watch it grow (hopefully!).

No comments: