Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hunting for Easter Eggs...

On Monday March 22nd, I hosted a Mom's group at my house to dye Easter eggs and then an egg hunt in the backyard. My friend Thelma is from Mexico and has never done the whole "Easter" tradition, and since she was heading to visit family the next day, we decided to have an early celebration. I made cupcakes the night before and had lots of help from Sofia. Mainly she wanted to eat all the frosting, but she was very good at licking the frosting off the wax paper rather than the cupcakes (after being instructed, of course!). After decorating all the cupcakes, we stuffed the plastic eggs with candy (kisses, smarties, gummy bears and malted eggs). I think Sofia at a few with every addition into each egg. She loved stuffing them, but then wanted to open each one so I had to hide them until the next morning when I hid them in the backyard.

I'd intended to do the egg dyeing outside, but it was still pretty chilly outside so I put down a lot of newspaper and the house remained egg dye-free! Sofia loved it! Of course she had no patience to put one egg in one color and wait. Instead she dipped each egg into each color (yes, with her hands) for a few seconds before moving on to the next color. Most of her eggs turned out sort of brown, but she had a great time! The three gals then headed out for the egg hunt! Sofia was mainly concerned with opening each egg when she'd find one, so I know she came in third as far as the amount of eggs, but they were all opened! They had fun searching for the eggs and then played with the chalk and snacked after.

Sofia helps me separate the cupcake liners


Yum, cupcakes!


Stuffing candy into the plastic eggs


Carrying the full eggs around the house


Dying Easter Eggs!


Adding her egg for the few seconds in one color....


and then onto the next color....


Sofia's finished eggs


All done with the egg dyeing


Starting the hunt with Peter the Cow


Checking out what's inside


Candy!

No comments: