Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Visiting the Ft. Worth Zoo

We met our mom's group friends at Ft Worth Zoo at noon today, which made for a fun but LONG day since it is half price on Wednesdays (so everyone goes) and it was about 90 degrees today! As I loaded Sofia in her car seat, I told her we were headed to the zoo and that we would see elephants, tigers, lions.....and she looked me in the eye and said "George?" Yes, as in Curious George. So I explained to her that he now lives with the man in the yellow hat, but that we would see other monkeys.

Once at the zoo, the six of us - complete with ultra-wide strollers, snacks, sippy cups, diapers, etc must have looked like a small army rolling up the walk. Almost immediately I let Sofia out of the stroller since she really couldn't see the animals very well and she basically walked the ENTIRE day! According to my stroller, it was over 2 miles and I think I carried her for a few minutes here and there - she never sat in her stroller again. I was pretty impressed (she also went to sleep at 730 tonight).

She loved looking at all the animals and she is at the perfect age. I was remember how my mommy friends in DC visited the zoo when Sofia was 8 weeks old and all the pictures I took (mainly of her sleeping with an animal in the background). Now she points and exclaims "Giraffe!" or "Elephant!" or "Bear!" when she sees them. Also, although she didn't stick perfectly to my side all day, I love that she runs around and explores! After the first time she ran off I chased after her and picked her up and told her that she shouldn't run away but stay close.....then, every chance she got she would say "Run away!" even though she would stay close.

There's the Rhino!


The zebra - such beautiful animals


With her buddy Thomas (she likes saying his name because of "Thomas Train") looking at merkats.


Penguins!


Watching the train with Beup-beup


Riding the coin horse and eyeing someone next to her on another coin animal


On the train back to the entrance


All tuckered out

No comments: