Thursday, March 14, 2019

Spring Break Day 6: Kayaking the Creek

Today was supposed to be our last day at FBV and we were all a bit blue to have to pack up and leave in the morning. CK was just starting to relax and unwind and the girls really wanted "just one more day" on the beach. CK wondered if we might be able to stay until Saturday morning and I headed up to the big house to ask. I asked Tamarin and she said we were in luck and the Beach House was free for Friday night! I couldn't believe our luck. I returned to tell CK and the girls that we got one more day! We were all super excited!

We had breakfast in the big house with Chip, Lisa and Charlie and had decided the night before to kayak through the creek to shell island and back. Unfortunately, it was very windy and would be a tough day to kayak through the creek, but if we didn't do it today we wouldn't have a chance to do it and it was one of our very favorite things to do. We headed to the kayaks and Olivia went with CK while Sofia and I got on a double kayak together. I also brought our masks and snorkels so we could explore around shell island. We jumped on the kayaks and started toward the creek. Sofia and I actually did a great job working together and made it to the mouth of the creek, despite the wind. I was already pretty tired out and was sort of dreading kayaking the entire creek! Once we headed into the creek, Sofia jumped out so she could snorkel and I ended up getting out of the kayak and pulling it down the creek. The wind was just too strong by the mouth of the creek, so I needed to get a little bit down the creek and give my arms a break. I had to stop pulling the kayak once I reached the edge of the sand bank. The creek becomes very sludgy and totally gross to walk through.

I got back into the kayak and Sofia climbed in too since she wasn't making as much headway as I was in the kayak. We paddled together, fighting the wind and working hard to get through the creek. We finally figured out that if we stuck close the edge of the creek, it would block the wind a bit. It did help but it was still tough work getting to the other side of the creek. After an hour, we finally made it! Just as we arrived at the edge of the creek, Sofia jumped out and started snorkeling. I kayaked to the far side of the bay and parked the kayak next to all the other kayaks. Of course, Sofia and I were always the slowest, but at least we made it. We all walked around the beach near our kayaks and I snorkeled in the bay. I really wanted to snorkel to the area where we'd found all of the Sea Biscuit Sand Dollars that we'd found the year before, but I was a long way away and didn't want to hold up the group. Also, the tide was coming in and we needed to start heading back to FBV. Charlie and Sofia were on the far side of the bay building a monster sand castle. They were having a great time together and had big plans for their sand castle. I love how much they connect and enjoy each other and play together. Meanwhile, Olivia was in the world's worst mood. She had been in a terrible mood since we'd arrived at the shore and didn't want to do anything but "go home." I kept trying to tell her how she needed to enjoy the visit since we would be going home to Texas in a few days and days at the beach would be behind us. That didn't work, so I told her to hang out on the beach and keep her bad mood to herself.

We lingered for a bit and then got back into the kayaks and headed for much-needed lunch! We kayaked to the far side of the bay to collect Charlie and Sofia and then headed back. We still had to fight the wind a little bit, but it was easier than the kayak from FBV. We finally made it back and I know I was thoroughly exhausted by the time we pulled up onto the beach with the kayak. Wow, what a workout!

We headed to the big house and ordered lunch while Chip made us all pina coladas. He has even made Sofia and Olivia fans of pina coladas! He makes the very best ones and they were much needed after that trip. I ordered a cheeseburger, which was beyond delicious and much needed! Somehow the cheeseburgers at FBV are amazing and the best I have all year. So delicious! After lingering over such a great meal, we headed back to the Beach House where we read and hung out all afternoon. It ended up being a perfect day too. Despite the great day, neither girl was interested in either swimming, snorkeling or kayaking. Sofia did spend some time building a sand castle. That girl never gets tired of her sand castles. Instead, they played in the sand and also enjoying lounging on the beach reading. Olivia loves Geronimo Stilton and would read to me from the lounger next to me. The girls also played Uno with CK for a while.

Dinner was creamy lobster with mushrooms, pork tenderloin, salad and potatoes. Another excellent meal. We lingered over our meal and then headed down to the fire pit where we hung out with the two older couples who also flew in to Cat Island. They were really a lot of fun and have been visiting Cat Island for years. They were a lot of fun and it was great visiting with them for a bit. We headed to our place around 10:30pm and were getting ready for bed when Olivia showed up at our sliding glass door and said "Last chance to tuck two cute little girls into bed." It was so cute! We tucked the girls in, after clearing all sand from the sheets, which we've had to do every night before the girls slide into bed. We also have to wipe the girls' feet off. The sand mainly bothers Olivia, while Sofia doesn't really care about the sand. One perk to getting the girls in bed at 10:30pm every night is that they sleep like puppies and are ready for a new day each morning.

Our view from our back patio is magical! I love it so much!

Sofia and CK heading out for our big kayak trip

Battling the wind in the creek.


Sofia snorkeling in the bay on the far side of the creek.

The most amazing cheese burger ever!

One of the crazy curly-tailed lizards. This one loved having his photo taken.

Sofia building yet another sand castle. That girl never gets tired of sand castles.

Our sweet beach girl!



The view of the FBV bay from the far side.

My view as I read and relax (and maybe nap).

My little reader friend...

No comments: