Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Since Valentine's Day fell on a Tuesday night, we decided to make a nice dinner at home. Thankfully it rained all day, or else Olivia would normally have soccer practice. Instead, the girls got home following their Valentine's party and played for a while before we started making dinner. CK headed out and came back with the most beautiful bouquet of roses I've ever seen! They are so gorgeous and so thoughtful!

The day before, I'd bought an aged ribeye for CK and three filet mignons for the girls and me. We normally get three ribeyes and split them between the four of us, but we always have so much meat left over. I figured the filets might be a better size for us and CK could enjoy an aged ribeye. I also made twice baked potatoes, which I added sour cream, cream cheese, cheese and bacon and put it all together on Monday afternoon. It was easier to make it ahead of time and then just put it in the oven. My Mom used to make twice baked potatoes every time we had company and they were always such a favorite of mine. A few weeks ago we had them again when we received them from Omaha Steaks as a gift from friends. The girls loved them then and I figured it would be a nice treat. I also planned to grill asparagus.

Unfortunately, it was still a little windy and it caused our bbq to burn out a few minutes after CK would relight it. It was very frustrating. We finally decided to sear the steaks on the stove and then bake them in the oven. It always taste better from the grill, but it wasn't a possibility unfortunately. They tasted great!

We sat down to eat around 6:30pm and the girls loved it all, although they did turn their noses up at the twice baked potatoes! While they ate, the also enjoyed opening up their gifts. They each had a little box full of candies, gum, socks, stickers and little toys. They also got a huge Hershey Kiss, since Sofia had been hinting at it for weeks. After enjoying our delicious dinner meal, our dessert was ready. I made chocolate lava cake and served it with vanilla ice cream and fresh whipped cream. I have a recipe for chocolate lave cake that my Uncle gave me but I couldn't find it! So frustrating, since I've made it a bunch of times and it's really easy. I ended up pulling up a recipe on Pinterest that ended up being easy and delicious. It turned out so good and we all gobbled it up!

The girls also received a box from their Grandpa and Grandma and they opened it up to find more Valentine's treats, including a little teddy bear for each girl and little toys. It was so sweet! CK called his parents so the girls could wish Grandpa and Grandma a Happy Valentine's Day and also to thank them for the goodies. They too had a low-key Valentine's Day. My friend Sian had also send each of the girls a large envelope that included a Valentine's card, stickers and coloring books. It was all so sweet!

After dinner, dessert and cleaning up, we put the girls to bed and wished them sweet Valentine's dreams!

Two excited girls ready for Valentine's gifts and dinner!

The Valentine's Gifts from CK and me

The beautiful roses CK gave me!!

Dinner!

Yum!!

Valentine's Dog!

No comments: