Saturday, November 28, 2015

Santa Fe Farmer's Market

On Saturday we headed to the Farmer's Market after eating cereal at Aunt and Uncle's. I really wanted to visit the Farmer's Market because I planned to buy Christmas gifts for my girlfriends while there and also wanted to walk around and browse. As soon as we left the casita, Sofia announced she didn't really want to go, so CK offered to take her to breakfast. He asked Olivia too but she wanted to stay with me, so I told her she would have to walk the entire way and wouldn't be getting a piggy back ride or be carried. We actually made it to the Farmer's Market without her asking to be carried - a first! Once inside, Aunt Shirl and Olivia stood in line for donuts and croissants at a little stand that we have visited before. Olivia wanted the Boston Creme which must have weighed a good 3 pounds while Aunt Shirl picked out an almond croissant, which ended up being one of the best I've ever tasted. We found a little spot on the communal table and they ate while I had coffee and Uncle Steve roamed around. Olivia actually ate some of her donut and announced she "loved" the creme inside before she started scrapping off the chocolate off the top of the donut. We actually washed her messy hands in the water fountain since I didn't bring anything buy my wallet and camera, so didn't have my usual bag of wet wipes with me.

After their sweets, we walked around and I went to buy the goat milk hand lotion bar and raspberry jam that I wanted to get. I was amazed at how many vegetable vendors there are with fresh veggies, but figure they must have green houses and lots of water. When I think of Santa Fe, I don't necessarily think of seasonal vegetables. After exploring for a bit, CK called and was ready to join us. Instead, he met me and picked up Olivia in the car and dropped Sofia off, while Aunt and Uncle headed back to the casita. We'd planned to go to a late afternoon movie of "The Good Dinosaur" and they wanted to get a few things done first. Sofia and I walked around together and it's always fun to spent time with just one of the girls. They act so completely differently when they don't have the competition of their sister and Sofia and I had a great time exploring the Farmer's Market. She really wanted to buy a toy or doll of some kind and had her allowance with her, but didn't end up finding anything. On the way back, we tried to stop at a book store that we've visited before but it has moved. We got back to the casita and suggested the four of us visit the mountains for a short walk in the snow, since the mountains had received a lot of the snow the night before. Olivia was really wanting to "eat" some of the snow and Sofia just wanted to explore.

Before leaving, I checked Sofia's temperature and it was 103! Her fever started the Saturday before, so I decided to take her to the Urgent Care instead. She and I had to wait a while to see the doctor, but once inside she fell asleep on my lap and he had to wake her up to look her over. He was a real character and had a great way of interacting with Sofia. Finally, he said he wasn't really sure what was going on but thought it might be a sinus infection, although rare in kids that age. He gave her a prescription for antibiotics and we left and headed to one of my favorite food places in Santa Fe, The Bumble Bee! Their Mexican food is so good and I love to visit at least once each trip.

After eating, we picked up Sofia's prescription and then headed to the casita where we relaxed a bit before going to see "The Good Dinosaur" which was a bit overwhelming with action, but Sofia loved it. We returned to the casita to eat a delicious turkey noodle soup Aunt Shirl made with the left over turkey. It was perfect and so delicious!

Ready to go but wanting to stay by the fire and read her book

The Farmer's Market

Enjoying their donut and croissant

Picking the chocolate off the top of the donut

Aunt, Uncle and Olivia at the Farmer's Market

The train leaving the Santa Fe station with snow in the background

Watching the train

Olivia

Sofia

Trying to replicate the mural

A Santa Fe door....Sofia wondered why I was taking a photo of it.

My lunch date at Bumble Bee

My food....YUM!

No comments: