Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

This year, Mother's Day was very bitter sweet, as I enjoyed such a lovely day with CK and Sofia, yet thought of my Mom and how much I miss having her to talk to and spend time with. I really missed her a lot on Mother's Day and thought of all my happy memories of her. My day started out with the best thing I could have ever gotten - a handmade card from CK and Sofia with a picture of Sofia and I and a picture of my Mom and Sofia. The card was titled "Thank Goodness for Mommies" and thanked me for all that I do to be a Mommy. It was so touching! Being a Mom was the most important thing in my Mom's life and I know it's the most important in mine as well.

That morning, during Meeting, Sofia was playing with a little hand-held magnetic doodle pad and wrote "Mom" over and over! I was so shocked and CK said he didn't teach her. She also wrote "Papa" a few times, which we weren't aware she could do either. It was a great surprise, especially on Mother's Day! After Meeting, CK took Sofia and I to "surprise" reservations for brunch at a downtown restaurant called Screen Door. It was fabulous! The food was outstanding and the restaurant was very comfortable, not overcrowded at all, and we enjoyed a very relaxed brunch. Sofia had the waffle and I think CK and I were both a little envious - it was great.

After brunch, Sofia played in the fountain (along with a group of other kids), while we waited for our car. Sofia loved it and I think we could have probably left her there and she wouldn't have noticed. Of course, what started out as dipping her feet in the water and touching the fountain soon turned into a very wet, but happy, girl.

That afternoon, after everyone enjoyed a nap, CK and Sofia gave me presents and completely spoiled me, as usual. CK got me a beautiful pregnancy outfit that I can't wait to wear (and plan to wear for vacation). It's so cute and I look forward to getting a lot of wear out of it these next few months! Sofia, after wanting to get me a stuffed Mallard duck that quacks, was somehow convinced that a insulated picnic tote was far more useful. The picnic tote is perfect and includes everything - glasses, plates, silverware, napkins and even a little cutting board and knife. It's great and since we've been meeting at the park for picnics with my Mommy friends, I can't wait to put it to use!

That evening CK's cousin Scott, who newly relocated to Texas from Florida came over and we hung out and had pizza. It was great to catch up with him and we are excited to have he and his family living about 30 or so minutes from us.

By the end of Mother's Day I'd thought a lot about how I could honor my Mom by doing something that she would have loved. She and Sofia used to have a "tea party" every time they were together and she hosted tea parties for a lot of the grandkids and even my Aunt's grandkids. So, I decided that I would like to host a Mother-Daughter tea from now on to celebrate Mom's life and remember the things she loved to do: entertain, cook great good, and be with those she loved. I know Mom would love it.

MOM!!


Sofia and I at Screen Door...I tease CK that my Mother's Day picture with Sofia is the one and only photo that he takes of us for the year....mostly we just take pictures of Sofia!


Look at that waffle - yum!


Post brunch happiness


Sofia just sticking her feet into the fountain pool


A happy girl


Touching the fountain...


and jumping into the water.


With a soggy girl - Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: