Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mom's Memorial

Mom lost her battle with cancer on July 7th. It was so difficult to watch and be a part of at times, but I wouldn't be anywhere else. I'm so lucky that I was able to be there when she really needed me and I know every morning and evening when Sofia would give her a kiss, or when she'd hold Mimi's hand, Mom was a bit happier. We lost an amazing Mom, Mimi and woman and I am thankful that Sofia had a few years to get to know Mimi and I intend to ensure that she doesn't forget all the wonderful things they did together and how special she is to us. Not only was Mom a gifted artist with crafts (we have many many beautiful Mimi-made dresses), but she was the most giving and supportive person who lived by a few mottos. The most important was to "eat the center of the sandwich first." Life is short and she knew it was important to enjoy every minute of it, which she really did. I'm so thankful for all the lessons she taught me, for all the memories I have together, and I miss her so much.

We celebrated her life on the 14th and started the day at Memory Gardens for a family and very close friends inturnment service. Mom was buried with Dad, which is very special to me. I was thankful for the chance to talk a little about Mom and tell of all that she meant to me and how many things will always remind me of her. One thing I didn't mention is that I see a lot of my Mom's "go get 'em" attitude in Sofia. Mom had a take charge attitude and knew her mind and our little girl certainly fits that! After the inturnment, we went to lunch with my Mom's closest friends at La Vie en Rose, one of Mom's favorite restaurants. We then headed for the service at St. John's Lutheran Church. Pastor Tim did a very nice eulogy and was followed by my Uncle Steve who shared the most poignant and beautiful summary of Mom's life. My Aunt Cathy finished with a slide show of Mom from birth. The reception at the church was followed by a reception at Mom and Joseph's house - both were very nice, but the very best part was seeing and visiting with so many people from various stages of Mom's life. We were able to share stories and remember such a wonderful Mom/Mimi/Woman.



I'm so thankful they are buried together


Sofia finds a dried worm after the inturnment service


Playing with cousins


The six of us kids - a rare time that we are all together


(Almost) all of Mimi's grandkids


At La Vie en Rose


After the service, Sofia and her cousins swam in the fish pond at the reception. I know Mom was smiling down on them - she would have loved to watch them!


Toasting to Mom! Another motto being: Drink champagne for no reason at all.....


Sofia with Mommy


With Aunt Shirl


Another family line-up.


With Beth, one of Mom's four best friends....

1 comment:

julie fulton said...

It was such a nice service and the words that you and CK shared were the most beautiful tribute to a wonderful Grandama, Mom and Friend. She will be missed by so many of us.