Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Knott's Berry Farm with Mimi

My family has a strong tie to Knott's Berry Farm. When they were dating, my Mom's parents went out to the Chicken Dinner Restaurant for meals together. For their 50th wedding anniversary we all ate there the night before their big celebration party. When I was young, I probably knew Knott's Berry Farm as well as our own house - we spent a lot of time there. Some of my best childhood memories are of visiting the petting zoo (which is sadly no longer there), taking the train around the park, going for a stagecoach ride, and of course, the log ride!

So, before Sofia and I even arrived in California, Mom was adamant that we make a final trip to Knott's Berry Farm together and show Sofia such a wonderful place. Despite her health, Mom was determined and so we set out on Thursday morning. We ended up taking the 'scenic' route and it took a little longer to get there than it should have, but we were having fun talking. We made it to Knott's, and I wheeled Mom in her wheelchair and her oxygen bottle around the park, with Sofia sitting on Mimi's lap. We didn't really hit many rides - just a couple in Camp Snoopy for Sofia, but it was a fun adventure to be out with Mom and hear stories of when Mom used to take me when I was little and later my cousins to Knott's all those years ago. Sofia loved hanging out with Mimi and getting a ride on her lap instead of walking.

All set to explore the park!


On the train


Sofia was exhausted pretty quickly and she loved snuggling in with Mimi while we walked. Mimi is teasing her about her thumb sucking....





Heading out of the park


In front of the Chicken Dinner Restaurant - we wished we were hungry so we could have eaten there.


Mimi cuddles - the best!

No comments: