Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sofia's first 5K

This morning Sofia completed her first 5K with me - hopefully the first of many! I hadn't done a race since last spring's half marathon, and planned on walking the majority if the 5K since I haven't run much lately. However, my friend Carey who met me for the race wanted to run, so we did. I woke Sofia up just before 7am so I could get her to go potty and get woken up enough to be ready for the race. We made it to the race, which was at the Colleyville Community Center about 3 miles away around 730am and met up with Carey and her husband and 2-year old. The race was a good one, although it was hot already by the time we started at 8am! We ran for the first half, then started to walk and Sofia enjoyed watching everyone run, playing with her books and a pine cone Carey picked up for her, and drinking water....what a life!

After we finished, Carey's husband brought us oranges and cold watermelon, which were delicious! The Lion's Club, which put on the race also offered a full pancake breakfast, but we weren't really in the mood for it after the hot run. Plus, Sofia wanted to "go potty at home," so we headed home and relaxed the rest of the day. It was a fun race and I am so proud of Sofia for not having an accident mid-run! I considered putting her in a pull-up for the race, but decided that we might go backward if I did that, and I'm glad she proved me right! We look forward to the next race.

All set for the run - Sofia used my post-race shirt as a blanket since she said she was "cold" when we arrived - it was only 75 out already at 730am!


Waiting for Carey and watching the Lion's Club guys make LOTS of pancakes


Minutes before the start! All set to go.


Enjoying some cold watermelon and oranges after the race


After the race!

No comments: