Saturday, June 5, 2010

Potty Training!

On Tuesday morning, after taking CK and Sofia's Grandpa to the Baron and then Sofia's Grandma to the airport, I decided to hit Target for some potty training supplies. Following some advice from a friend, I went ahead and bought Sofia the "panties" she really wanted - Thomas Train 4T boy briefs. They don't seem to make Thomas Train panties, but instead they make princess, My Little Pony, and Dora panties - which Sofia could care less about or doesn't even know what they are, as in the case of My Little Pony and Dora. So, we picked out a set of Thomas Train briefs then headed over to the snack aisle for "rewards." Sofia picked out dum-dum pops which are little lollipops that we've been using already, gummy bears, and Oreo cookies. Finally, we went to Sofia's very favorite section in Target - the Thomas Train aisle and she picked out her prize to work toward - a motorized Emily train. Then we went home and started and it was easy! In fact, it's been easier than I imagined. I let her carry Emily around (without opening her up) and explained to her the goal. As soon as we opened the Thomas train "underwear" she was sold and she's woken up every morning asking to wear "panties" (I'm still doing diapers for nap and bedtime). She got to open Emily up on Thursday night, after a full day of no accidents! She continues to carry Emily (and Thomas) along everywhere she goes).

She has been such a trooper, and now, four days into it she generally doesn't even ask for a treat. We're still working on "#2" but that will happen. This has been such a huge step and I'm so proud of her. Of course, it now means pre-planning and leaving plenty of time for potty breaks wherever we go, but so far it has gone far smoother than I ever expected. ALL of my friends were right - they will do it when they are ready and it will not be a battle.

We've tried to get Sofia potty trained for several months now and it's always been a battle. She would generally go without complaint for CK but would yell and kick anytime I even so much as mentioned it (or especially when I'd steer her toward the potty). When we went for our tour of Spanish Schoolhouse (where Sofia will start school twice a day in August), she fell in love and it's been a bit of a motivation to get potty trained. I've told her many times that she can't go to school unless she's potty trained. Now, of course, she thinks she gets to go now!

We're very excited for her and I'm looking forward to moving her changing table into the attic.....our little girl is growing up!

Thomas


Admittedly, she likes to play with the unworn "panties." Hey, whatever works!


Treats!

No comments: