Monday, August 24, 2015

First Day of 3rd Grade!

The first day of school is here and I'm in disbelief that Sofia is going into 3rd grade!! Since we were in Florida last week we missed the "meet the teacher" night so we were looking forward to meeting Ms. Feaster, who is a brand new teacher out of college! Sofia hasn't been very excited for school to start partly due to the early mornings but also because school is a bit boring to her. After I read off the names of the kids in her class this year (that my friend Christy forwarded to me on the "meet the teacher" night), she said "Oh great! I'm with all the kids who need things repeated three times before we move on." Of course, that isn't true but I am a little sad that she won't be in class with Alexa this year, since Alexa's Grandpa volunteers twice a week and is such a great source of help and one of the kindest men. Sofia has been with Alexa every year so far, so I guess it was bound to change. Several of the kids in Sofia's class haven't been together since Kindergarden, so it should be an interesting year. She keeps asking CK and I why they don't just give her a book of all the stuff she needs to learn and let her learn at her speed. Of course, she would be great at learning in that style, but obviously most kids aren't.

CK and I woke up at 6am and I got showered, dressed and made Sofia's lunch before I woke her up at 6:40am. When I left her room last night, she said she was tired and turned off the light as I left, but once I was in her room this morning, I could tell she'd stayed up reading. Books were all over the floor by her bed. Needless to say, it took a lot of cajoling to get her to open her eyes and even longer to convince her to get up and dressed. She'd picked out her "first day of school" outfit the night before and finally got dressed and headed downstairs. She had toast with jam and a yogurt for breakfast before we took a few quick pictures of our girl! Olivia wanted to be in the picture, as well even though she has two more weeks before school starts for her.

We parked at the neighboring church and walked to school only to find that the front doors wouldn't be opened up until 7:35 and a huge group of parents and sleepy kids were waiting. The doors opened and we slowly creeped into the school along with everyone else. Sofia was hoping to stop and say hello to Mrs. Livingston, but then remembered that she's moved back to Colorado and was a little sad. We passed by the 2nd grade classes and made it to 3rd grade and Ms. Feaster. At fist, I thought Ms. Feaster may be an older sibling of one of the kids. She looks SO young! She seems very nice and we look forward to getting to know her. Since it's such a busy day, we only met her and wished her a good day as we left.

Sofia's 3rd grade class is set up differently than 1st or 2nd in that there are two long tables with kids sitting down both sides. In the past two years, the kids have been grouped together into clusters of 4 or 5 kids to smaller table groupings. We found Sofia's seat and she put her backpack and lunch in her cubby before sitting down, when I was able to get a quick picture of her. She's sitting across from her best buddy from Kindergarden, Allen Jones. Of course, I'm sure they will be moved around a few times throughout the year but Allen is a great kid to be across from! We gave her one last hug and headed out the door. She didn't look very excited, but I think she'll be fine once she gets home from school and will have enjoyed seeing her friends and playing.

We headed downstairs and talked with one of Sofia's classmates' parents for a while before saying goodbye to each other so CK could go to work and Olivia and I could go home to feed the dogs (we are dog sitting our neighbor's dogs). Hoping for a fun first day of 3rd grade for Sofia!

Breakfast for our 3rd grader!

This is how she REALLY feels about school....

...and this is what we send to family and friends!

The girls with their Papa! Love this photo!

The girls (and an uninterested Buddy) with me.

Our big 3rd grader!

With Olivia

Our first walk into school

At her seat and ready for class to begin!

No comments: