Friday, February 27, 2015

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Livingston!

Today was Mrs. Livingston's birthday, so I told Sofia on Tuesday to make her a card since she was home thanks to the snow day. Instead, she decided to write her an entire story about Emperor Penguins. We watched "March of the Penguins" last week and she really loved it and has been researching Emperor Penguins since then. I suggested she make up a story about something to write for Mrs. Livingston, but she wanted it to be "non fiction" and got busy writing and drawing. She spent hours over nearly 3 days to write "Antarctic Emperor Penguins" for Mrs. Livingston and researched when the penguins travel to their breeding ground and what the eggs actually look like. She really enjoyed the whole process and did a great job! Meanwhile, on Wednesday I made rugelach, one of my very favorite desserts, from scratch. CK and I actually gave up sweets two weeks ago, but I had to try one and see how it turned out. It was incredible! I boxed them up to include them with Sofia's story for Mrs. Livingston's birthday. Sofia then wanted to write a birthday card, so she drew an Emperor Penguin birthday card for her teacher to go along with the story and rugelach. On Thursday afternoon, Sofia decided she also wanted to give Mrs. Livingston a little clay pot that she painted red and we researched on Pinterest on how to make a cute flower out of paper. We found one which uses cupcake liners and went to town. It really turned out super cute. I also had an extra sweet mint plant that I wanted to give to her, so I put it in a cute pot. We put it all in a bag and Sofia carried it to school this morning to give to her absolutely favorite teacher!

Homemade Rugelach. Yes, they were divine!

All of the presents for Mrs. Livingston

Mrs. Livingston's Birthday card

Her flower

Sofia's story...




















No comments: