Saturday, December 7, 2013

Building our Gingerbread House and Train

Every year at Christmastime I look forward to making a gingerbread house and decorating it with everyone. This year, instead of using a store-bought kit, I decided to make the gingerbread from scratch and cut the pieces ourselves. One of my friends posted a link on Facebook to a blog about how a mom turned her gingerbread house project into a week-long project, so I figured I'd use her site. On Thursday, while Sofia did her homework and Olivia played, I made the gingerbread dough, wrapped it plastic, and put it in the fridge with the plan to make our gingerbread house on Saturday morning.

Our neighbor/friend, Jackie across the street saw my posting on Facebook about our plans to make a gingerbread house and told me that she had recently bought the Pampered Chef molds for a gingerbread house, school/post office, and train from a resale store for $5! On Friday, with snow/ice everywhere I sent Sofia over to Jackie's house to pick up the three molds. She brought them back to the house one at a time and I washed them before I baked the gingerbread house and trains.

The next day, I put out all of our candy and made the royal icing and we got started. CK is always in charge of the engineering aspect of ensuring that the walls and roofs are going to actually stay together. Last year, we started using canned food to hold the walls together and it worked again this year. Once CK got the walls and roof on, we started decorating. CK focused on the roof while Sofia made a fish pond and a walkway from the front door to the pond. Olivia mainly snuck up to the table to steal candy and eat it and didn't help to decorate. While CK and Sofia worked on the house, I focused on the train which was fun to put together. It turned out to be a great Saturday morning project, especially on a snow-bound day and they both turned out really cute. Of course, Sofia has asked about a million times when we plan on eating it!

Candy!

Getting started

The candy tray

Sofia, with her candy necklace, ready to decorate

CK, the engineer

The house coming together

The candy thief

The decorating starts

CK focuses on the "fish roof"

Sofia and her fish pond

Working together

The train

The finished house!

The backyard

No comments: