Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sofia's Kindergarden Photos

Today Sofia brought home her school pictures which were taken a few weeks ago. They turned out great, although I can't believe how grown up our girl looks! She absolutely loves school and I'm pretty sure recess, play centers, and lunch are her favorite, although we hear a lot about Mr. Pirkypile and her art class as well as music and P.E. Not entirely sure what they do during the rest of the day because Sofia never tells us, but I'm sure they are learning.

Every Tuesday the class has a "share reader" come in the morning and read stories. I've done this a few times and it's a lot of fun. Sofia has 16 kids in her class and her teacher, Mrs. Patterson is very sweet and kind. The night before Sofia gets to pick out a few of her favorite books that she'd like me to read to her class. At 10am, I read the stories to the class with Sofia sitting next to me. What's interesting about share reader time is that the girls sit on their chairs or on the floor and listen intently, sometimes raising their hand to ask a question, while the boys can barely sit still for 2 minutes and are constantly trying to poke the person next to them.

After I'm done reading, Sofia gets to leave class with me and get ready for lunch early. Then, we meet up with the rest of her class outside of the cafeteria and we go in together to eat lunch (yes, at 10:30am)!! As a parent in the cafeteria a lot of time is spent helping other kids open containers they can't manage and get things for them like utensils and ketchup. It's a lot of fun although I don't get much eaten usually. I always bring a PB&J or a container of sushi because the cafeteria food scares me. After lunch, I say goodbye to Sofia and watch all three kindergarden classes head out to the playground for 30 minutes of recess.

I really love how much Sofia is enjoying school, but I miss her a lot and feel like the day is way too long, especially when she's expected to come home and do homework! It just seems like they get enough time from 7:45am to 2:45pm to teach Sofia that I shouldn't need to spend up to 45 more minutes at home going over homework. She's a very good student, loves her teacher and classmates and loves learning so we can't complain too much!


No comments: