Friday, April 10, 2020

Dying Easter Eggs

I had planned to get the girls to dye Easter eggs yesterday afternoon, but the day somehow ended up getting away from us and the girls enjoyed playing on the trampoline in this beautiful weather. So, today I woke up at 7:30am thanks to my furry alarm clock, Buddy, and he and I headed out for our morning walk. We ended up running into our dog friend Riley and his parents and had a good time catching up. Buddy and Riley are about the same size and actually play together (or completely ignore each other) and Riley's owner John always gives Buddy treats, so he's a huge fan. After our walk on such a perfectly beautiful day, we got home and CK headed out to fly. Since it was Good Friday and a day off from school work, I let the girls sleep while I got organized for our drive to the lake later today. Finally, at 11:30am I made the girls get out of bed! I couldn't believe they were still asleep! Sofia has really become a sleepyhead in the past two years, but Olivia used to actually get up at a relatively normal time, but now that we are "home schooling" she tends to be able to sleep in just like Sofia. They slowly woke up and got a little breakfast in their bellies and went straight to the trampoline to play, since it really was the perfect weather out.

I had two cartons of 18 eggs hard boiled and ready to be dyed and set them out on the patio table with two sets of dye cups. Olivia helped me add the vinegar and we watched the tablets bubble and blend into the vinegar until it was time to add the water. Sofia was a little less excited, but I told her she would get into it once it was time to dye eggs. Soon it was ready to get started and Olivia was super excited while Sofia sat and read her book. I did manage to get a few photos of Sofia actually smiling while dyeing eggs. Olivia took her time and really tried to figure out what exact color she wanted on each egg, while Sofia was a little less focused on her egg-dying outcome. She did use her wax crayon to draw her name and other things on a few eggs. Sofia read her book between egg dyeing rounds and wasn't as into all of it, but she was a good sport. Olivia really enjoyed it and I had fun with them taking photos and enjoying this tradition on such a beautiful day.

Once the girls were done, the returned to the trampoline and I continued to get everything ready for our trip to the lake later. The eggs really did turn out to be beautiful and it really is one of my favorite traditions to do before Easter. I hope Olivia continues to enjoy it for many more years and Sofia continues to be a good sport.

The girls having fun dyeing their Easter eggs!

Sofia showing her "true feelings"! Ha!!

Sofia being a good sport and dyeing her batch of eggs.

Olivia making sure her blue is just perfect.

Sofia checking on her pink egg.












Olivia and her finished eggs! Beautiful!


Sofia and her finished eggs! Gorgeous!

The finished eggs! So beautiful!! Some are missing because the girls needed a snack while they worked.

No comments: