Thursday, December 19, 2019

Happy Birthday, Papa!

Today is CK's big birthday! I know his birthday is hard to really celebrate because it is so close to Christmas, but I really try to make it special and totally separate from Christmas and those gifts. CK is a bit difficult to buy gifts for, but I had a few actual good ideas this year. First, I wanted to plan a really special meal and I decided on braised short ribs, roasted cauliflower and salad. That was followed up by Jerry's Hot Fudge Cake, which is a recipe I found on-line that is a replica of the cake that he enjoyed as a boy when he stayed with his Grandma over the summer. I found it and made it for his birthday a few years ago and it was not only a huge hit, but absolutely delicious! We all loved it and it was special to CK, so I want to make it a tradition, unless we are celebrating a "milestone" birthday, like we did last year. The short ribs were wonderful but a pretty serious time commitment too. The meal turned out to be delicious!

After filling our bellies, we headed into the living room to give CK's his presents! I was actually super excited about his gifts this year. I'd asked the girls for any good ideas they might have and Sofia immediately said "what about a fishing pole for the lake?" I thought it was pretty brilliant, actually! So, a few days earlier, I visited Academy to pick out a basic fishing pole. Who knew it was not easy to find something so basic? There are a million fishing poles out there and they vary significantly in price! So, as I was stumbling around the aisles at Academy, a nice man also shopping there asked if I needed help and then spent at least 30 minutes picking out everything I would need to give CK. It was so nice of him and he completely saved me! As for his other gifts, I bought him a pair of cozy sweatpants that I thought he might enjoy at the lake. Plus, I got him a cool shirt from Orvis. I know he shops there all the time and buys himself nice things there, but I think everything thy have there is amazing and always fit him so well. The girls wrote him cards and they were so excited to give him the fishing pole and tackle box. We think he really enjoyed his gifts and it was so fun to celebrate him and his big day! We are so lucky to have him as our Papa!

The girls with their newly-learned napkin folding skills from Mona.

Happy Birthday, Papa!

Jerry's Hot Fudge Cake - the best!


Olivia and a case of the giggles.

Opening the girls' cards.

Papa opening his gifts!

The girls are so proud of the fishing pole and tackle box gift! Hope they all enjoy it together this summer!

No comments: