Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

We had a really fun and relaxing Mother's Day weekend! On Saturday, we watched Sofia and her Pink Pirate team mates win their age group in soccer and then returned to the house to relax in the backyard while the girls played. Sofia pretended she was an author and illustrator and Olivia was a jewelry designer. She designed and made jewelry and Sofia wrote in the newspaper about her jewelry.

A few days before Mother's Day, I received an envelope full of pictures of my Mom from my Aunt Cathy! She's in the middle of planning a McConnell/Fulton/Brumfield family reunion in California in June and we've been talking regularly to talk about plans. It was such a wonderful surprise to receive the photos and most of them were those used in her memorial service. They are all really great photos of my Mom with a few with my Dad and they are just great to have. It was perfect timing too and I enjoyed so much looking through them and sharing them on Facebook. I showed the girls the photos with my Mom and Dad and told them stories about my Dad and what he loved to do and what he was like. They are used to hearing me talk about my Mom but I don't get a chance to talk about my Dad as much, so it was fun to share memories with them.

On Mother's Day Sunday, I woke up, made coffee and sat in our backyard enjoying the morning. Sofia actually woke up earlier than she normally does on the weekend and showed up with the book she loves reading to me "Matilda" by Roald Dahl. She read to me for a bit and then she and Olivia presented me with their Mother's Day gifts they had made. I suspect Olivia's gift was made minutes before she gave it to me, but it was very cute. Sofia also wrote me a note of thanks from both she and Olivia. It was very sweet. On Thursday, Olivia came home from school with a write-up about "Mom" which was very cute!

After getting ready, we went to Meeting and then CK took us to Cool River for Mother's Day Brunch, which was really delicious! Of course, it was a ton of food so we all left feeling very full and as if we never wanted to eat again. We returned home and relaxed briefly before I took both girls to get a pedicure. Sofia went with me on her 8th birthday, even though she isn't really into pedicures and "girly stuff" and ended up really enjoying it, although a lot of the treatment tickled her too. Olivia is always begging me to paint her toes and fingernails and loves all the "girly stuff," so I knew she would have fun. They were able to start all of our pedicures at the same time and both girls had a great time. As expected, Olivia loved it and Sofia was like an old pro. She put my sunglasses on at one point and actually looked like a teenager! I couldn't believe it! At the end, Sofia ended up getting flower stickers on her big toes and Olivia had a flower painted on her big toes since her toenail was too small to hold a sticker. It was a fun outing and something fun to do with the girls. I'd originally asked CK if I could work in the garden all day, but it was overcast and a bit rainy out so the pedicure was perfect. After the pedicure, we returned home and just hung out.

Hanging out Saturday afternoon after soccer.



The author and jewelry maker

My Mom and Dad - Love these pictures!!







Sofia reading to me on Sunday morning....

Olivia's school Mother's Day gift

The Mother's Day thank you note from the girls....

Sofia's homemade Mother's Day gift

Buddy!

Olivia's gift given to me on Mother's Day -the ink was still wet on this portrait of me. So sweet!

The girls and I on Sunday morning



Brunch at Cool River


Pedicures! So fun!





Sofia suddenly looking like a teenager!

The finished product!

No comments: