Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sofia's Open House

Tonight Sofia and I attended her school's open house. CK was out of town and I had a sitter arrive since I had plans to go to dinner with my girlfriends later that evening. I didn't realize the open house was tonight until earlier, so I asked our sitter to arrive a little early so just Sofia and I could attend. Once we arrived at school, Sofia wanted to watch the show put on by 5th grade's honor chorus, which she apparently saw earlier that day and said it was very good. It was a review of music through the ages and the 5th graders did a great job. The best part was that Sofia wanted to sit on my lap. At first, I thought she wanted to get a better view but I soon realized she just wanted to sit on my lap which is so sweet. I guess I usually have Olivia on my lap, so it was an opportunity for her to get a little time of her own.

After the music program, we walked upstairs to Mrs. Livingston's classroom. Along the hallways were kids dressed up as different inventors and each of them had a presentation that they wanted to share on who they were and what they invented. It was really clever, but also very chaotic and made it hard to walk to Sofia's classroom. Once we made it to Mrs. Livingston's classroom, Sofia was able to show me her work and her desk (which is significantly neater than it has been in the past). It's so fun to see Sofia's classroom and work and it's amazing all the kids are learning and working on in 2nd grade! Sofia also brought out her iPad (each child has their own classroom iPad to use daily) and showed me different programs they use and pictures of her work that she takes with the iPad's camera. They also make little videos which are really cute.

We talked with Mrs. Livingston for a while before we headed down to her Aspire classroom downstairs. Sofia goes to Aspire on Mondays and Tuesdays with a handful of kids to work on gifted and talented projects. She really enjoyed it and also says that it is hard, which is good because she needs to challenge. Her Aspire class does a lot of team projects where 3 or 4 kids will group together and create a solution to a problem. In December, she and her team developed a treadmill that would reward Santa while helping him lose a few extra pounds. It was very clever.

Before we knew it, it was 7:00pm and time to go, so we headed to our car and I returned her home before I went out to dinner with my girlfriends. It was so fun to see Sofia's work and talk to Mrs. Livingston who clearly adores Sofia and always tells us how much of a joy she is to have in her class. That's always great to hear!

So sweet!

Sofia at her desk

Showing me to water cycle work

Sofia!

Sofia's George Washington

Sofia with Mrs. Livingston, her favorite teacher!

One of Sofia's drawings from Aspire

No comments: