Sunday, December 14, 2014

Making Gingerbread Houses

Last night we made gingerbread houses. I borrowed my neighbor's Pampered Chef gingerbread house and school molds and made up a double batch of gingerbread. While CK was off flying that day and the girls were playing (Sofia still had a slight fever all day Saturday) I baked the gingerbread pieces, which is so easy using the molds. The girls helped me with the second half of pressing the gingerbread into the molds and had fun eating the dough. Olivia still isn't so sure about gingerbread but Sofia loves it.

Once CK made it home, we gathered up all of our candies and I made royal icing to attach all of our goodies. This year, I used a method many of my friends use to assemble the house: a hot glue gun! It worked like a charm and made the house assembly so much easier than waiting for the royal icing to harden. We then added royal icing to cover over the hot glue and then we started decorating. Sofia really got into it and she took over decorating the house while CK stuck to the school/post office building (which is pretty much the same as the house except it doesn't have a fireplace). Olivia sat up on the table and ended up focusing on testing the candy and eating candy canes. I helped Sofia decorate and took pictures. They both really turned out cute and Sofia decorated and attached the American Flag and two snowmen.

It was fun to decorate them and we put them both onto a platter so we could put them up onto our counter. We weren't sure what Buddy might do when we weren't home if we left it on our dining room table.

Olivia playing outside while I raked up leaves in our front yard.

Sofia helping me make the gingerbread houses

A close-up

All baked and cooling

My two helpers pressing gingerbread into the molds

Assembling the houses (notice the hot glue gun to the left)

Candy is out and we are ready to get started!

Olivia, our official candy supervisor

Testing the candy canes...

Yum!

Papa and his masterpiece

Cluse-up of his work

Sofia's house

The front of her house

The American Flag

No comments: