Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sofia's School Visits the Zoo

Yesterday all the kindergardeners from Sofia's school went on a field trip to the Ft. Worth Zoo. CK stayed home with Olivia and took her to her doctor's appointment, which was scheduled for yesterday, as well. He was able to get work done from home and enjoyed spending time with Olivia, and I'm so thankful that he did because I really wanted to go the zoo with Sofia.

Bonnie, Piper's mom, and I drove together since I figured it would be much more fun to spend the drive together than going solo. We planned to walk together and enjoy the zoo together but our girls ended up going in separate directions. As a chaperone I was responsible for Sofia and one of her classmates, Dillon. I was so thankful that I didn't have to keep my eyes on more kids or that the class didn't try to stick together. Basically they told us to enjoy the zoo, have lunch whenever the kids got hungry and return to the entrance at 1:15pm so they could load up and return to school.

Sofia, Dillon and I headed over to see the gorillas, rhinoceros and elephants and ended up bumping into Beth, Annabella's mom who was chaperoning Annabella and Caroline. We ended up spending the rest of the day together and I was so thankful to have Beth's eyes on my two kids also. The three girls did a great job of sticking together, but Dillon tended to just wander ahead. He's a super sweet kid and very mild tempered but seemed to get lost in his thoughts and wonder what was next... Needless to say, we didn't lose him or anyone else thankfully! It turned out to be a perfect day to visit the zoo and didn't seem very crowded although it was half-priced day. It also was a warm, but not too hot day that made walking around ideal.

Sofia got hungry before 10am and ate half of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich while we were at the meerkats and ate her other half by the gorillas. We ended up stopping for lunch at a picnic bench in the sun and it was a good break from all the walking we'd done. After lunch, we visited the penguins and then headed all the way up to the petting zoo and the Texas area. Ultimately we walked the entire zoo and saw everything, although we were really pushing the kids at the end so that we could make it back to the entrance in time. They all had a great time and I really enjoyed spending the day with Beth and the girls.

Bonnie and I drove back to her car which she left at the Starbucks around the corner from school. I was so exhausted from the day that I went in and grabbed a coffee before I picked Sofia up from school. After I picked her up, Sofia told me that she'd fallen asleep on the bus ride home. I wouldn't be surprised if she did! It was a long day - fun, but long! We headed home for snacks before soccer practice.

Colleyville Kindergardeners (Sofia is to the left in a flower shirt)


The kids from the other side - Sofia is on the far side and completely hidden


Orangutan


Sofia and Dillon being silly


One of the elephants


The rhino relaxing in the water


The kids looking down on the rhinos


The Bengal White Tiger - He was SO close! The kids loved it!


Completely tired out!


A regular tiger


Sofia and Dillon watch the zebras


Sofia, Annabella, Dillon, and Caroline


Feeding the birds


Dillon and Sofia find one that is hungry


Kaia and her dad, Dillon and Sofia feed a bird


Our sweet girl!


Lunch!


Taking a rest on the way back to the entrance


All together


Climbing a tree...


Such a fun day!

No comments: